So, it appears that the crank is indeed broken, it feels like it's at the end - you can wiggle it around.
Some stuff I want to do whilst the car's off the road includes
- fitting valve seats to the head
- changing the push rods for 2.5 ones
- changing the rocker pedestals for MkII ones
- maybe renewing the rocker shaft
- repairing the manifold and collector
- re-wrapping the manifold properly - undecided on this, have heard that it's not a good idea on mild steel manifolds - this is a Gareth Thomas/Mike the Pipe example
- change the exhaust for a single pipe system (anyone want a twin system? Make me an offer before I eBay it)
- Pull the engine, salvage what I can and replace the crank (I have spare, needs regrinding), replace bearings etc and put it all back together in the same block - that's assuming it's all reuseable which it may not be!
- Build up my spare 2.5 engine and drop that in - this is just a standard 2.5, not decked. I could pull the cam from my present engine and reuse that though.
- Build up with a 2 litre crank and head (I think I have a head!) for a revvy engine
- Buy a second hand lump and throw it in
- Buy a car with a nice engine and whip that out
First things first, I need to scavenge an engine crane off my brother in law and pull the engine out - I can then put it on the stand and turn it over to have a look at the crank proper - photos soon!