Thanks Carl - I owe you!
It looks highly unlikely that the new metering unit will turn up in time so I'm going to see if I can tweak it a bit just to run a bit leaner for the weekend - although it's going to be juicy whatever I'm sure I can get it back to where it was before the engine rebuild.
I've tried to check the vacuum readings but the gauge needle goes all over the place and it's hard to get anything like a steady reading. I'll put a T piece in the vac hose to the metering unit and tray again. I also have some new vac hose to try.
Anyhoo, I had a moment of inspiration the other day, well one of those wake up in the night moments actually
- PI's need good vacuum
- Good vac is, in part, dependant upon correct valve closure
- Correct valve closure is dependant upon correct tappet adjustment
- Correct tappet adjustment is dependant upon setting TDC and knowing which tappets to adjust
- My record for this is not good - remeber this http://chinn.blogspot.com/2007/03/its-alive.html
- So, did I set the tappets correctly?
It's worth a check so that's what I'm off to do, re-check all clearances and see what that does to the vac readings and the running.
Whatever, I'll take the car and the kids to the IoW Friday, it's agreat weekend. I'll throw some spare plugs in and tools and take a spare can of petrol and both credit cards :-)