Time for a change

Well it's happened at last, I have waved goodbye to saloon ownership and am actually "without Triumph" at the moment. I am on the trail of a TR6 that was restored 20 years ago but has done very little since, like the saloon, the TR owner has emigrated - sounds familiar? It a long story how all this came about but in a nutshell I was thinking of selling the saloon and getting a TR6 as I wanted to return to convertible motoring. My wife has never really liked the PI, so much so that I thin she's only been in it once or twice. We had a heart to heart and basically she misses the Gitfire! We're also at that stage where the kids are growing up and out so having 2 seats isn't the show stopper it used to be. So on the Isle of Wight, same as every year, Ashley Mills comes over for a chat and, same as every year, he asks me to give him first refusal if I ever want to sell the saloon. Now I had entered the International Auto Ecosse and the RBRR so zeal was done where I would part with the car after the Auto Ecosse, provided I didn't bend it. I'm pleased to say the the car did well on the event, about 1500 miles done with a couple of hiccups. Nothing terminal and both fixed properly with real parts, not duct tape and string bodges! Ashley has been a busy chap and although he paid up for the car straight away he wasn't able to collect it until today, which was great because if I get this TR soon and my daughter comes home with her car and my parents go back to Cyprus and leave me there car I will be awash with cars!! So congrats to Ash, look after the old girl and give her a sound spanking every now and again. So what of the replacement? Well it's a cheap TR6 as I just couldn't bring myself to spend ten grand - OK so Mrs C wouldn't let me spend it but I did convince her to put a few quid to the proceeds of the saloon sale. We went and saw quite a few TRs, some were just OK, some were downright awful and one was pretty much just right. Buying a car from an absentee owner on the other side of the world is quite tricky, you need patience and understanding then some more patience. Suffice to say that the deal is not yet done and I still need to pay a deposit but I'm getting there, I hope. This will be my RBRR car so I hope I can get my hands on it soon and start the recommissioning process, time is awaisting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Lucas PI info - some pearls of wisdom here :-)

Worried about your trunnions? Relief is to hand!

TR6 Clutch investigation (and interior replacement)